Ok - so I've had this idea for along time & I'm now inspired to put it in motion. I want to have random thoughts or questions about once a week that require EVERYONE'S participation! Which means that if you are reading this I would love to hear your response or story in response to this...
So, here's the first one & the reason I'm finally doing this & something everyone has some story about...
I was in the car picking up my daughter & niece from preschool when I heard a song that took me back. I've found a better one for the purpose of this post ...
CLICK HERE
What would be your first memory when you hear this song? For me, this will yet again prove what a geek I am, but I always think of the 14 year old church dances. Running to the bathroom with my friends whenever a slow song would start. Knowing that the "cool" guys would not ask us & we'd only get asked by the weird ones! Which now when I think back to the "cool" guys they were actually quite geeky themselves. But, they were from Mt. View, so they were cool. Or remembering the strange way we used to dance back then - I wish their was some way to describe the bouncing around we used to do. I remember making plans to go with Sarah every Saturday night & how much fun we would have no matter what was happening around us.
But, here's my best story for this: I remember being asked by one of those "weird" guys to dance. (I was a terrified girl back then when it came to boys whether they were weird or cool.) While dancing he started to quiz me & here are some of the questions I was asked:
*What are your goals in life?
*What would you like to be when you grow up?
*How many kids would you like to have?
*Do you read your scriptures?
*Do you say your prayers?
WHAT THE??!!! Who does that? It was very strange in the least! Anyway, that's my thought down memory road. Now I want to hear your best or strangest dance story.
OH WAIT!! I so have another one that includes PROM this time. Which most of you know this one already, but just for kicks I'm reitterating it. (If your one of my sisters you will know this story well.) If you know this person - or if by some reason you are this person I apologize ahead of time for the fun we've had in my family at your expense!! But, here it is...
When I was a Junior in High School I was asked to PROM. Not even my own schools PROM, but another schools. It was someone I didn't even know. I had only met him once. (Which was a set up meeting at the temple grounds to see if I was worthy enough to go to prom with him. I guess I passed the initial test.) Anyway, during our day activity we went to Fountain Hills to watch the water & eat lunch. He kept trying to hold my hand & it grossed me out so I always found a way around it. Then, when we got back in the car to leave he turned to me to say something & I about hurled. He was literally dripping with sweat down his face. (Later I heard that he was on some medication that made him sweat a lot. So, I felt bad for laughing at this, but still....) He was a football star at his school so he was a pretty large, buff guy. So, he has now been given the name "NO NECK NIAGARA FALLS".
10 comments:
hmmm, i wish i had hair like his. or is it a she.??? sorry, i'm just a young lassy, i have never heard that song. i wish i was cool like you, but i can't think of any funny dance stories. oh, and by the time you said PROM in that last story, i already knew exactly what you were talking about! hahahah! you need to scan that picture and post it!
As we all know, I never went to prom - what a loser! But my favorite date story is when some random boy who didn't even go to our school saw my picture in the newspaper for Jr. Miss and somehow got my phone number. His MOM called my mom and asked if he could take me on a date. Instead of saving me, my mom consented. For the date we went to a baptism where he had to play the piano and he made me turn the pages for him. I'm not kidding! I think I did get a meal at Serranos out of it, but REALLY!?!?
For my Junior Prom I went with this boy who I had had a crush on for the longest time. But this kid was the tupe of guy who was really good looking but socially just out of it. I realized this at Prom. We could not find ANYTHING to talk about. I just remember dancing with him looking around at everyone else, thinking, this is the slowest song ever and I can't think of a SINGLE thing to say! Oh and my dress was really annoying too. I was wearing this slip that would not stay put and it was showing everywhere out of my dress. So when we got pictures the photographer made my date hold my slip down so it wouldn't show in the pictures. It was really a horrible date! BUT...he was cute!And this is when I learned looks are not everything! Good Idea Melanie!
When I was going to school, there was a dorm cafeteria that would have part of it open at night to serve late night snacks and goodies (ice cream for me, always ice cream). Well, we never had dates, so my roommates and I often went up to get ice cream and this or something close to it was a choice. We would take our quarters up and put in our choices and wait for our songs as we ate our ice cream and scoped out guys, hoping that maybe you would find the love of a lifetime at BYU. Never met anyone there, but they had cheap good ice cream.
That took me back to a very dark cafeteria. We always had our dances in the lunchroom. The students that were in charge of the danck always put paper over the ceiling lights so there was NO light for those that made out! Which was NEVER me! But we would dance and dance until a slow song came on and then it was always out the door to catch our breath or out to the hallway to see who else wasn't interested in a slow dance. They were always pretty darn fun. I have to admit, I was a fan!
So fun!! I love the prom story- it never gets old!! The dances were great! I actually remember jumping on the trampoline. I would crank the radio up loud in the backyard and try tricks on the tramp.. that's why I'm so good!! haha That's weird that this song reminds me of that.. funny.
....Or there is the ROTC guy that came and marched into my classroom in High School to ask me to the ROTC BALL. UGH! That was embarrassing. I remember trying to think of every way possible to ditch the class but could never come up with anything. One of my friends had warned me he was coming and I dreaded it all day. I also remember this same guy wanting to kiss me so I kept a straw in my mouth the entire time we were outside of my house after the date. I can't remember where I got that idea from but it worked great!
mel, just blog stocking and I couldn't resist leaving a comment about the song...hilarious...Rennie has probably told you but firehouse filmed one of their music videos in Zion and Ren & I went up to see if we could get in it. They played a mini concert before they filmed which consisted of about 4 songs. Love of a lifetimes was one of them. Thanks for the jaunt down memory lane.
Heather!! I laughed out loud reading your comment. I forgot all about ROTC boy! So dang funny!!! I remember seeing him walk into the school decked out i his uniform & then finding out he went into your class to ask you in front of everyone. Isn't it great we can look back now & laugh?!
ok wait it this who i think your talking about??? umm shootz i forgot his name! but i am pretty sure. blonde hair? wow i thought he was dreamy MEL!!!! hook it up! LOL...i went to a UH institute dance last weekend and some guy got infront of me and started backing it up like he wanted me to...nevermind but i was like umm nono hawnay...i no lie dance wit you!
Post a Comment