
Isn't she lovely? She passed away this week. Again, this gives us all the opportunity to reflect on how lucky we are to have the gospel. I just can't say it enough how thankful I am to know that I will be able to be graced with her beautiful presence again. Here's her obituary that tells some wonderful things about her.....
_______________________________
"Gwen Lenore Mecham Carroll, a loving wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister and cherished friend, lost a courageous and a long-lasting struggle with breast cancer and passed away peacefully on April 15, 2009 at LDS hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. She was born June 17, 1936 in Springville, Utah, the oldest child of Emil Lemond and Erma Fullmer Mecham. She attended school in the Springville and Provo areas, graduating from Provo High School in 1954. She worked at the Social Security Office and the BYU Employment Office to support her University experience. Gwen interrupted her BYU studies to serve an LDS mission in South Africa from 1959 to 1961. Upon returning from her mission, she began working as a flight attendant for United Airlines. She worked as a flight attendant for over 25 years, and was based in Chicago, San Francisco, and Denver. It was while she was living in the San Francisco area that she met and married the love of her life, Jimmy Lee Carroll, on March 17, 1964. Their marriage was solemnized in the Manti Temple in 1980.
Gwen’s greatest joy in life came from being a mother to her son, James Lamond Carroll. She was also a wonderful step mother to Terry Carroll and Linda Strebeck. She was a master gardener, and year after year she produced yards that were some of the most beautiful in the valley. She also enjoyed dancing, playing the piano and singing with her ward choirs. Gwen loved history, genealogy, family history work, and reading and learning about her ancestor’s lives. Gwen was a life-long member of the LDS church in which she served diligently in numerous callings. She loved and was loved by her family, her extended family, her church associates, and a myriad of wonderful friends. She was indeed one of God’s choicest daughters.
Gwen is survived by her husband of 45 years, Jimmy L. Carroll, her son, James L. (Heidi) Carroll, her step-children Terry Lee (Vi) Carroll, and Linda Joyce (Alan) Strebeck, one grandchild and fifteen step-grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She is also survived by her four sisters Shirlene (Ron) Day, Karen (Rod) Marshall, Kay (Jim) Graff, Elaine Butler, and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins. She was preceded in death by her parents, Emil Lemond Mecham, Erma Fullmer Mecham Nelson, her step-father, William H. Nelson and a brother, Emil Lemond Mecham.
A viewing will be held on Sunday April 19th from 6 until 8 pm at Berg Mortuary, 185 E. Center Street Provo Utah. Funeral services will be held on Monday April 20st at 11 am, at the LDS Church, at 10494 N. 4720 W, Highland Utah, with a viewing one hour prior to services. Internment will be in the Springville Evergreen Cemetery."
______________________________
Now, the part that talks about her being a master gardner is NO JOKE!! I loved going to their house in the spring & summer just to hang out in the backyard. It was just breathtaking! I was always amazed at her talent. Here's a few shots of PART of the grounds. And, I'm sad to say, that these pictures just don't do it any justice.
She would always put on quite the spread for meals whenever we would visit. She was always asking if we were hungry, if we needed more food, etc. She was just the sweetest person you'll ever meet. She also made the best "hot cakes" & I'm not even a fan of those. But, I could never pass up hers. She will be GREATLY missed!!
P.S. - I have to tell my Uncle James thank you. I took the obituary & pictures from his blog & I hope he doesn't mind. :) Our prayers are with you!
2 comments:
She put apples in her hotcakes and cooked them in olive oil so that the edges were crispy. Wow. They were soo good. Every time she would make them for us, I would go home and try to make them - I could never get them just right.
And then there was her pie crust. I have never ever had a better pie than when she would make fresh rhubarb pie. She was an amazing cook.
I had the great honnor to be her step-daughter. She was always positive, never complained and was always happy, no matter what. She could always find the possitive in any situation. In this one the possitive I've found is that she didn't have to suffer anymore, she got to go in her sleep like she wanted, and she had her funeral in the spring sunshine and not in the snow. I loved her, and she will be missed.
Post a Comment